Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day


My mom started our memorial tradition a very long time ago. I was only 5 years old when my grandpa died (her father) I remember some of it, not a lot. I remember people being sad and knowing I needed to be also. I remember going to the cemetery and being a little freaked out that they would bury someone. He was the first person I really remember passing away. I then went quite a long time before I had to go through it again with someone close to me and my family. My mom's mom died my senior year of high school. I remember that one like it was yesterday. Since then, my dad's mom has passed and so has Tyson's grandmother (his mom's mom). His dad's father died when Tyson was 13 years old. He still has 1 grandma and 1 grandpa still alive and I have my grandpa Anderson.
I tell you this because my mom's tradition has always been to visit the graves around this weekend. No matter what, I make sure I visit them all. It's very special to me to know that I will be able to be with them again and that they are loving and getting ready to send down the rest of my children to me.
I have a brother in law who finds it interesting that Utahans do this on memorial weekend. He grew up visiting graves on that persons birthday or the date they died. I like going up on this weekend because it's a time when all of the flags are out and I can see all those who died while serving our country or who were veterans.
Ever since I was little, I was always in charge of watering the plants and flowers we brought to the graves. I could never resist watering all of the other flowers who were neglected around my grandparents graves. My mom thought that was funny and endearing but I've done it every year and I will continue to do so. Hopefully when Taylor grows up, she will continue my mom's and then my tradition.

2 comments:

Joy said...

how sweet a tradition! too bad we aren't going camping this year, although the weather is supposed to be pretty bad. Maybe next year? or just later in the season!

Thiago & Teri said...

Oh that is very sweet. We go to the graves every year too, first with one side of our family, then the other. Memorial day is such a special day, I am glad we both get the chance to remember people we have loved!! Have a great day.