WARNING TO ALL DOG LOVERS - this is very sad.
Yesterday my poor mom's little Miniature Chiwawa dog, Reggie, was killed by two other dogs in her neighborhood. She is so devastated and I'm so worried about her. I can't believe it myself but to see the effect it's having on my mom makes me just cry thinking about it.
For those who are dog lovers, you'd understand.
My mom let Reggie out to use the potty about noon and Reggie took off to the side of the house, barking like a mad little thing. (at this point, very normal behavior for this dog, she always thought and acted like a St Bernard). My mom was not dressed to go Chase her so she left the door open and went to put on some pants, coat and shoes to go looking for her. When my mom came to the door, her cute neighbor, who has three little kids and it just a few years older than me, was there. My mom laughed and said, "Hi Matt, did you come to bring me back my dog?" to which she got a very funny and sad look and he said, "no Kathy, there's been an accident". My mom asked if she needed to take Reggie to the vet and he just shook his head no and then she asked if it was too late and he said yes.
At this point, he beings to tell her that his son, who is about 5, was playing outside when he ran into their house yelling, "daddy, daddy, there are two big dogs eating a little dog". Matt ran out to find a Rottweiler and a Black Lab with Reggie and she was already gone (which was on my mom's property).
Matt ran over to tell my mom. She went out and picked Reggie up, held her and saw that she was gone. She said there was one spec of blood on her shoulder, her eyes were open, which means they either broke her neck or she had a heart attack and died. My mom lost it, as you can imagine. Matt offered to bury her in my mom's field and my mom went into the house and cried all day, never leaving her room. We had a family party last night and she almost did not come. NONE of us knowing what had happened until I finally got it out of her that something was wrong at the very end when everyone had left and we were that last to go home. My sibling were all gone and she said she couldn't tell them, it was just too hard. She started to cry and couldn't stop. I'm so amazed that she was able to keep it in as long as she did.
I had to call my sister's and brother to tell them and then I went up to her house to make sure she made it home ok, she lives in Eden and with the weather and her crying, I was very worried. Tyson practically kick me out, telling me to stay as long as I needed to and even sleep up there.
I was totally planning on doing just that, but I ate something at the party that made me sick so I stayed until 12:30 AM this morning and then came home.
We cried together, talked about everything that happened, tried to talk her through the guilt she was feeling about leaving her out there on her own, which she did all the time without anything bad happening, and tried to help her through it.
She loved that dog. Reggie helped her through so much with her breast cancer and the divorce. She will be dearly missed and remembered with love and laughter...such a funny, good dog.
My mom said she will never get another dog and go through this again, I hope she changed her mind. I hate to think of her being alone.
13 years ago



2 comments:
Jill I am so sorry. That is so sad. Your poor mom. She is such a sweet heart, I hate to think of the pain she is going through. My thoughts are with both you and you mom. Love you guys.
Oh Jill...this makes me sad. I have met your sweet mom before and I hate to think of her suffering through this. I hope she can feel at peace soon, you are such a sweet daughter. You can tell so very much how much your mom means to you, it obvious how much you love her. I am glad she has got you!!
Post a Comment